Wednesday 8 May 2013

Golden Demon awards in the Golden Age: part 3 (1992)

In this third and final installment of Golden Demon awards in the Golden Age I will be sharing with you images of figures from the 1992 awards (from White Dwarf 151). I say "final" because I was unable to find a reference to subsequent awards (1993, 1994 etc) from the White Dwarfs of the period. If anyone knows different please let me know and I would be happy to scan them and put together a pdf doc. You'll notice that the majority of figures featured in this article are from the 1980's and very early 1990s, so there's a good chance that the Golden Demon awards from the mid-90's also contained such figures. SO it would be a shame if White Dwarf hadn't featured these.

If you are new to Scribd then clicking on the expand screen icon at the bottom right of the Scribd box below (to the right of the + and - zoom buttons) gives you a full screen view.

Anyway, enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. That sure brings back a lot of memories. Love the old style of both the sculpting and the painting.

    Great work on the blog btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic stuff....this is right in my "Sweet Spot" in terms of painting style...these are the figures that have made me the painter I am today. Its just the right balance of clean painting and bright colors that I still try to emulate to this day. While I appreciate the grittier, looser style of painting of years before this is the style that moves me the most. In the period after this thing became too "samey" and then the dreaded "Red" period was right around the corner. Of Course I'm a big fan of Marauder miniatures as well...and they are well represented on these pages...so that certainly helps.

    Thanks for linking to this...perfect stuff IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dreaded Red Period...what happened there eh?! :-(

      Delete
    2. Management is what happened there lol!

      Delete
  3. Like Blue I loved this army. I remember it so clearly and have looked at it many times since. The cartoonyness of the Dwarf sculpts almost demands this cleaner more cartoony painting style. The next year the winning Army was Empire Army but this marked the end of an era for golden demons as they then chaged from 1984 onwards to command group only. I always felt it was a real shame. Don't get me wrong i think individual minis are great but you can't beat the impact of the massed ranks of the army picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry ... I meant 1994 onwards

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my most flicked through WD's!

    Particularly fond of the dioramas Revenge and Lament's End, the Genestealer Cult and Richard Harris' Orc army.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for your blog !
    I a am french, sorry for my bad english.
    I am also an enthusiast of the old figurines citadel.
    It is a whole time !
    Really an excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve - thx for a great blog. I'm also a big fan of the old school citadel metal men. On the topic of the subsequent GD, they actually featured in WD. GD 1993 in WD 162, GD 1994 in WD 174 and GD 1995 in WD 193. In GD 1993 there are still quite a few classic minis but they are almost completely gone by GD 1994. I have these WD but unfortunately not a scanner. You can find them though on http://demonwinner.free.fr/. Thx /Hans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always a toss up for me between these and wayne englands imperial dwarf army.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Great Spined Dragon was the one that did it for me. It doesn't come over in the picture but that thing looked like it was alive when it was sat in the cabinet. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete